The Borough of Antrim & Newtownabbey lies on the outskirts of Belfast, the capital city, in County Antrim and covers an area of 274 square miles. Newtownabbey was a “new town” formed in 1958 by the amalgamation of the historic villages of Carnmoney, Glengormley, Jordanstown, Monkstown, Whiteabbey, Whitehouse, and Whitewell. Antrim was one of 26 local governmental districts formed in 1973 and granted borough status on May 9, 1977. Its population was 53,438.
On April 1, 2015, the boroughs of Antrim and Newtownabbey were consolidated into one and are now called the Borough of Antrim & Newtownabbey. They now have a combined population of 145,000. On November 17, 2016, an updated Partnership Agreement was signed by Gilbert Mayor Jenn Daniels, Antrim-Newtownabbey Mayor John Scott and Gilbert Sister Cites President Greg Tilque.
The Borough is the industrial heartland of Northern Ireland. It is recognized as an innovation hub for advanced manufacturing technologies with leading-edge indigenous and global companies located alongside academic institutions. Logistics, health and life sciences, professional services, and retail are also key economic sectors and there is a variety of high-quality office and business workspace available. Northern Ireland is a beautiful country full of warm people.